Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome to my brain

I belong to two book clubs, one about being an adoptee and one about being an adoptive parent.  I read professional materials, both to increase my technical knowledge and to improve my organizational leadership skills.  I am a military veteran with a spouse working in a combat zone, so I read to stay educated about our wars and heroes.  I am passionate about human rights, parenting, travel, health, and my faith, so books are a natural way to extend and fulfill those passions.

What I am saying is that I love to read.  It’s nothing revolutionary.  My intention is that, by journaling my way through books, I will become a more purposeful reader.  My experience and expectation is that these hours spent inside of books translate into a richer, more meaningful life outside of them.  Reading for leisure is okay.  Reading with purpose is better.

What can you expect from this blog?  These will not be reviews.  They will be interpretations, impressions, and applications of the concepts I glean from the books.  The plotline may be about one thing, the theme about something else, and my practical interpretation a whole other thing entirely.  Isn’t that the way it usually goes?  There will always be traces of me, my family, and my life experience in my responses.  You might even recognize yourself here. 

There is no set schedule.  I’m not aiming for a strict book per week.  Some weeks will be more, some less, although I anticipate this journal will unfurl on approximately a weekly or biweekly basis.  Some books require hefty responses while other warrant hardly a passing mention.  Furthermore, this blog might last 6 months, or 6 years.  It will run its course and when the course is satisfactorily run, I will compose a lovely goodbye message and move on.

So if you’ve stopped by, thank you.   If you choose to stick around, welcome.  And if you could, indulge me in a comment now and then.  *wink*

8 comments:

  1. So glad you are back and in a format that you love. I am so happy to see all these wonderful organizations which I respect support on your sidebar. This is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish i was as prolific a reader as are you...but since i'm not, i'll cheat using your blog as a kind of "Raina's notes." Much more engaging than what Cliff has to say... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already follow your updates on Goodreads. I can't pass this wonderful oportunity to follow you here. BTW, you are such a wonderful writer and I identify so many of my thoughts with what you write, I just cannot put the thoughts into words, but you can. I completely agree with Yoli, this is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, you're back. i'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to read and love most to read with a purpose. I look forward to 'indulging' you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realize I am on Facebook too much when I am looking for the "like" button on blog comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all the books you have read. You really need to read more often.

    ReplyDelete